Volunteers are being sought to organise and run six to ten, one or two hour meetings per year in locations including Spalding, Long Sutton, Bourne and Grantham. They will also signpost people to appropriate help and collect information to feed into the evaluatation of the Peer Support programme.
What Diabetes UK can offer volunteers:
• The opportunity to be part of the Peer Support Programme
• A one-day training session on peer support facilitation skills
• A Peer Support Programme Facilitator pack to provide information, ideas and examples
• A range of materials for you to use and discuss in your peer support sessions.
• Ongoing support and guidance from the Volunteer Development Team
• Bi-monthly individual support session
• The opportunity to learn new skills
• Reimbursement of out of office expenses incurred while carrying out activities for Diabetes UK, eg travel, lunch.
Volunteers will ideally be:
• living with diabetes
• committed to supporting people living with diabetes
• willing to listen with empathy to others needing support with diabetes
• able to help people think through their situation and options, without telling them what they ‘should’ do
• non-judgemental and open-minded to the huge range of people living with diabetes, and the situations that they will bring to the meetings
• able to treat others with respect, tolerance and without prejudice
• able to contribute to group discussions without dominating
• friendly, approachable and welcoming
• able to commit to running monthly groups for 6 – 12 months
• committed to volunteer within guidelines and policies for confidentiality, safeguarding, data protection and health and safety
• enthusiastic and motivated with good organisational skills.
To find out more about this role and an informal chat contact Lincolnshire Community and Voluntary Service
There are a vast range of volunteering opportunities in Lincolnshire for everything from drivers to dog walkers, administrators to archivists, radio presenters to road marshals. Find out more: LCVS For Volunteers
- Get LCVS news and updates, including details of free courses and training, funding and volunteering opportunities, direct to your inbox: LCVS NewsBite
- Be the first to know about our free training and events and other news follow us: @lincolnshirecvs on Facebook and Twitter