NHS additional volunteers will be coordinated by RVS and the NHS and may be asked to;
- Deliver medicines from pharmacies
- Drive patients to appointments
- Take them home from hospital
- Make regular phone calls to check on people isolating at home
NHS Volunteer Responders are not intended to replace local groups helping their vulnerable neighbours but is an additional service provided by the NHS.
- Doctors, pharmacists, nurses, midwives, NHS 111 advisers and social care staff will all be able to request help for their at-risk patients via a call centre run by the Royal Voluntary Service (RVS).
- The service will match people who need help with volunteers who live near to them.